13 December 2014

A Bunch for the Weekend - # 33 - Red Poinsettia




This week on 'A Bunch for the Weekend' - I'm featuring some bright red Poinsettias.

I'm using them here mostly as cut flowers - but I also have some potted mini ones. Nowadays you can buy large pots of Poinsettias very cheep in the supermarkets or DIY stores - and they make fabulous cut flowers.

All the ones I found are British grown - not flown in from far away - so that is very nice.

I wanted to display them in a very simple and neutral setting - and I didn't want to add any more colour - I felt the red was bright enough - so I just added some seasonal white and silver. 


  
You'll need:

- 2 large pots of Poinsettias with about four to six flowers on each plant
- 3 mini pots of Poinsettias with just one small flower on each
- lots of different size clear glass apothecary jars and containers or similar clear glass containers
- some tea-lights in candle holders with a bit of sparkle
- 10-12 small silver Christmas tree baubles 


For conditioning the flowers - you'll also need:

- a pair of florist scissors or snippers
- a florist bucket
- a container with boiling water

Cut the stems at an angle - to increase water absorption. 
But when you cut Poinsettias they excrete a milky sap - so you need to stop the sap leaking out to prevent the flower from wilting - some extra little conditioning methods are needed. 

There are a few ways to stop the sap leaking out of the plant. One is to sear the end of the stem with a flame for 10-15 seconds - another is to dip the end in boiling water for 30 seconds and yet another is to after cutting put the flower in warm water and leave it there until the sap stops flowing - then change the water.

I'm following Sarah Ravens suggestion of using the boiling water method. Cut the stem at an angle - have a bowl ready with boiled water - dip the bottom 5 mm/1/4" of the stem and hold it there for 30 seconds.


Arrange the flowers in the clear glass containers - I have used vintage apothecary bottles and jars with just one stem in each - super simple.

Among the bottles I have then arranged the three mini Poinsettias, some tea-lights in sparkly little candle holders and scattered quite a few small, silver Christmas tree baubles.

Quick, easy, minimal (except for all the red!) and as it turned out very cheep. Above all very seasonal and very much Christmas - but with a new slant on how to use a traditional Christmas flower! 

Here is a blog post I wrote two years ago - quite interesting that I used the same Christmas baubles and the same kind of mini Poinsettia in little silver pots. Back then I didn't know that you could use Poinsettia as a cut flower - you'll find that there is a bit more information about Poinsettia and some interesting links. 

Here is a link to what is called Stars for Europe - a European website with lots of information about Poinsettia. 



Have a Happy Floral Saturday and a Great Weekend!

~ xoxo ~

Ingrid

[Styling and Photography © Ingrid Henningsson for Of Spring and Summer]

3 comments:

Jarka Panci said...

Ingrid, yahoo - Christmas star!
Than you very much - this post is very interesting! Stars for Europe - thank you.
Have a nice weekend. Jarka

Villrose said...

I never tought of them as cut flowers! A good idea.

Lisa Gordon said...

I never knew that you could use these as cut flowers, Ingrid. They are just gorgeous, and I am definitely going to buy some to cut. Thank you, my friend! xo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...